OUR HISTORY and WHO WE CONTINUE TO BE
On Sept. 27, 1855, a group of Norwegian famers held their first joined worship service in what was to be Vermont Lutheran. In 1856, in the Town of Vermont, Dane County, Wisconsin, the congregation of Vermont Lutheran Church officially was formed. Norwegians in the area had decided it was time to get together to organize their worship and give thanks to God in an assembly. Though few in number, the dedicated families soon had a building of their own which was located approximately 1/4 mile to the east of it's present location.
In the 1920s, Vermont Lutheran held it's first Lutefisk Dinner which has grown in years to it's current practice of servicing about 1,000 people each October.
Previously yoked with other churches in Perry, Springdale, Blue Mounds, Mt. Horeb. Mazomanie, and Black Earth, Vermont Lutheran stood on it's own in 2009 and hired Rev. Chad Christensen as it's first full-time pastor.
In 2010, a Gathering Place was built primarily by congregational members, as a place to be hospitable, a little less formal, and more inviting.
In 2016, Rev. Barry Hoerz was called to fill the position of pastor when Rev. Christensen went on to pursue his doctorate degree in Missouri.
Vermont Lutheran continues to be a mission oriented congregation involved in food pantries, micro-loan financing overseas, aiding homeless veterans, providing quilts and health kits for needy people around the globe, and so much more.
In November of each year, VLC sponsors a Hunters gathering and potluck, in the spring we hold a breakfast for bicyclers; a meatball dinner is held in February, and of course, they hold their famous Lutefisk dinner (with all the trimmings and deserts) on the third Saturday of each October.
A very friendly congregation, VLC welcomes everyone with open arms and more genuine smiles than you could imagine. We welcome all visitors and guests, and encourage folks who just want to come to see what this historic congregation and church building are all about.